We joined forces with Cherry Tree Action Group outside Lambeth Council’s Cabinet Meeting on Monday 15 April [more info below].Continue reading
Are you a member of the Labour Party or Green Party? Pass this motion at your next branch meeting.
This branch notes:
- That as recently as 2016 Lambeth Council made swingeing cuts to children’s centres in the borough, vastly reducing the service.
- That Lambeth Council have launched a public consultation over proposals to make severe cuts to children’s centres in the borough. The proposed cuts threatens the closure of five children’s centres, a halving of provision at seven more, and many job losses.
- That children’s centres are a lifeline for parents, carers and children in the borough, providing vital services and opportunities for socialisation.
- The centres offer services that include antenatal and postnatal classes, breastfeeding support groups, ESOL language classes, debt advice, and much more.
- The children’s centres mitigate against loneliness and isolation, and provide services aimed towards community integration and support, and as such are a central part of the borough’s preventative health and social care provision. Cuts here will likely result in greater costs elsewhere.
This branch resolves:
- To lobby its councillors in advance of the April Cabinet meeting, calling on them to to oppose the cuts to Lambeth’s children’s centre.
- To circulate the petition to all members.
- To circulate the online consultation to all members, along with guidance on how to fill it out.
- To mobilise for and join the ‘Save our Children’s Centres’ demonstration on 26th January.
- To stay in touch with the campaign to save the children’s centres, and keep members informed of actions and other ways to support.