A really important motion that was carried at the 2019 Black Members conference of UNISON
On Sunday, 27th January the Fascist ‘Bookfair of the Right’ (Targi Książki Prawicowej w Londynie) is coming to The White Eagle Club, Balham and will host speakers with links to Britain First and the far right movement in Poland.
They are holding their far right book fair which will be selling racist, literature on Holocaust Memorial Day.
Join the protest to save a vital service for parents and young children – 10.30 Windrush Square 26 January
VOTE YES IN SCHOOLS FUNDING BALLOT! Continue reading
Are you a member of the Labour Party or Green Party? Pass this motion at your next branch meeting.
This branch notes:
- That as recently as 2016 Lambeth Council made swingeing cuts to children’s centres in the borough, vastly reducing the service.
- That Lambeth Council have launched a public consultation over proposals to make severe cuts to children’s centres in the borough. The proposed cuts threatens the closure of five children’s centres, a halving of provision at seven more, and many job losses.
- That children’s centres are a lifeline for parents, carers and children in the borough, providing vital services and opportunities for socialisation.
- The centres offer services that include antenatal and postnatal classes, breastfeeding support groups, ESOL language classes, debt advice, and much more.
- The children’s centres mitigate against loneliness and isolation, and provide services aimed towards community integration and support, and as such are a central part of the borough’s preventative health and social care provision. Cuts here will likely result in greater costs elsewhere.
This branch resolves:
- To lobby its councillors in advance of the April Cabinet meeting, calling on them to to oppose the cuts to Lambeth’s children’s centre.
- To circulate the petition to all members.
- To circulate the online consultation to all members, along with guidance on how to fill it out.
- To mobilise for and join the ‘Save our Children’s Centres’ demonstration on 26th January.
- To stay in touch with the campaign to save the children’s centres, and keep members informed of actions and other ways to support.